Research Flow Cytometry
About the Laboratory...
The Core facility laboratory is a nonprofit joint venture between the School of Medicine and University Hospital. It is directed by Dr. Marc Golightly and supervised by Ms. Leombruno. The Laboratory is part of the Clinical Immunology Laboratories and is housed in University Hospital. The laboratory is equipped with two Becton Dickinson FACSCAN analyzers (Argon laser), two FACS Caliburs (argon & red diode lasers) and a three laser Cell Sorter ( A brand new state-of-the-art FACS ARIA with full supportive equipment). Six full time technologists staff it
Core Facility Services:
Consultative Services - Experimental setup/review, analysis interpretation, manuscript review
Rate and Fee Structure - Rates for services /instruments/ analysis & Billing information
Scheduling Facility Time
Links to other Flow Cytometry Core Facilities - Policies, Internet scheduling, phone scheduling
THE NEW FACS ARIA IS HERE! FASTER, MORE SENSITIVE, MICROTITER PLATE SORTING, BIOHAZARD CONTAINMENT, THREE LASERS, 4 WAY 8 PARAMETER SORTS, 8 COLOR ANALYSIS.
Here are common dyes and wavelengths used for FACS ARIA:
564-606nm or 563-589nm PE
600-620nm PE-Texas Red®
675-715nm or 665-685nm PE-Cy5 or PerCP or PI
515-545nm Alexa Fluor® 430 (can not be used if FITC is used)
430-470nm Pacific BlueTM or DAPI or Hoechst
- Free consultation to discuss the application of Flow Cytometry to the principal investigator's project or proposed use. All users are encouraged (required) to do this . This consultation often provides the PI alternatives, insures proper controls will be run, and often eliminates repeat studies due to technical inexperience with Flow Cytometry.
- Free review of data presentation for publication. It has been published that a large percentage of published Flow Cytometry data is presented wrong or erroneous conclusion have been made. This service seeks to eliminate errors in data presentation/conclusions thus increasing the chances for manuscript acceptance.
- Rates are charged in 1/4 hour increments according to the rate structure below
- A setup charge occurs with each use (see setup times below), therefore it is advantageous to batch your use if at all possible.
- For those fimiliar with operation of FACScan/Calibur, we offer investigator use rates. If not, we will train you at normal rates (it usually takes 2-8 hours, depending on the individual).
- Bills are sent to the principle investigator quarterly and are billed to the PI's grant number. Please advise us of changes in funding status or desire to bill another account.
|INSTRUMENT/SERVICE||SUNY STONY BROOK||NON - SUNY STONY BROOK|
|Computer Data Analysis||$41 per hour||$52 per hour|
|Investigator analysis workstation use||$16 per hour||$20 per hour|
|FACScan / Calibur/ No operator
FACScan / Calibur/ Operator provided
|$35 per hour
$60 per hour
|$44 per hour
$75 per hour
FACS ARIA Cell Sorter / Operator provided
|$75 per hour||
$94 per hour
|FACS ARIA Cell Sorter / No Operator
|| $50 per hour
|| $62 per hour
|Instrument Setup Times|
|FACScan Analyzer - Flat 0.25 hours||FACS ARIA|
|Non sort single laser 0.5 hours|
|Non sort multiple lasers 0.5 hours|
|Sort nonsterile 1.0 hours|
|Sort Sterile 1.0 hours
Analysis - multiple lasers 0.5 hours
- Time on the instruments maybe scheduled via phone or the internet once the facility has been used by a particular investigator. See below. ALL USE MUST BE SCHEDULED IN ADVANCE.
- Initial use of the instruments can be scheduled only after a required first time use consultative appointment has been made. This appointment is free and is designed to ensure that FACS analysis/sorting will meet the anticipated needs of the investigator and that there will be minimal technical problems with regards to the FACS end of the project.
- There is no penalty for canceling an appointment. However, "no shows" are charged a minimum of one hour service charge.
To schedule via internet: Enter Investigator name, date of request, and estimated number of samples to be analyzed. All efforts will be made to accommodate your request. The more advance notice that is given helps ensure that your requested time will be available.
Internet Scheduling "not yet available-under construction"
To schedule via phone - Call Flow Cytometry Laboratory at 444-8078 to schedule instrument time. Call Ms. Corrinne Leombruno at 444-8078 or Dr. Golightly at 444-2240 to schedule initial consultative appointment.