- Application Information
- Patient Care
- Our Services
- Patient and Family Centered Care
- Health Education
- Visitor Information
- Preparing For Your Care
- Survivorship and Supportive Care
- Billing and Insurance
- Know Your Rights
- Patient Privacy
- Video Messages for Patients
- Suggestions, Compliments, Questions, Concerns?
- Quality and Safety
- Government Comparative Hospital Ratings
- Joint Commission Public Notice
- Find A Physician
- In The Community
Goals, Lectures, Reading Assignments
Goals and Objectives:
Medical students who plan to enter the primary care fields in medicine and surgical specialities will -at the very least - need to master the fundamentals of Ophthalmology . The goal of this elective is to expose medical students to these fundamentals including:
- the basic eye examination,
- recognition of common ophthalmic conditions
- an understanding of the ophthalmic manifestations of selected systemic diseases
- when to manage and when to refer patients with ophthalmic problems
Upon completion of the elective, the medical student or resident should be able to :
- Perform a basic eye exam including obtaining a complete history, visual acuity, testing pupillary function including an understanding of the afferent pupillary defect, external examination, eye movements (using the Hirshberg reflex) and confrontation visual fields.
- Know when and how to dilate a patient and examine the fundus using a direct ophthalmoscope.
- Become familiar with common eye conditions that the internist, family physician and primary care physician is likely to encounter including the indications for urgent or elective referral.
- Demonstrate their knowledge in the following areas:
- Acute and Chronic vision loss
- The Red eye
- Ocular and orbital injuries
- Amblyopia and strabismus
- Ocular manifestations of systemic diseases
- Ocular pharmacotherapy and ocular side effects of systemic medications
- Complete all assigned online lectures and reading assignments.
Bradford CA. Basic Ophthalmology. American Academy of Ophthalmology 2004 ; Chapters 1-9 A copy is on reserve at the Northport VA medical library and can be borrowed for the elective.
LECTURE VIDEOS AND HANDOUTS *
Basic Eye Exam | handout | video A | video B | reprint | Red Eye | handout | video | summary table | Ophthalmic Trauma | handout | video | reprint | Amblyopia Strabismus | handout | video A | video B | Systemic Diseases | handout | video part A | video part B | Slow Vision Loss | handout | video | Sudden Vision Loss | handout | video | Surgical Videos | cataract a | cataract b | Glaucoma filter | Glaucoma valve |
Hieroglyphics of the Eye Exam (P Sibony)
Referral guidelines for the primary care physician (P Sibony, F ElBaba)
Basic Eye Exam
* Note. Lecture videos best viewed on Internet Explorer Browser.
Are you interested in pursuing a residency in Ophthalmology ? read this ......
Lessell S. Advising Medical Students about Ophthalmology Electives and Residencies. J Acad Ophthalmol 2009: vol 2(1), p 19-22.
Greene, M . Selection Criteria for Residency: results of a National Program Directors Survey . Academic Medicine 84:362. 2009
Yousuf S, Jones L. Ophthalmology Residency Match Outcomes 2011. Ophthalmology 2012. 119:642
Last updated by psibony on April 05, 2013