|Residency Program in Obstetrics and Gynecology|
Michael Lydic, MD, Residency Program Director
Lisa Rimpel, MD, Associate Residency Program Director
Welcome to the Ob/Gyn Residency Program at Stony Brook. Our residency is an academic training program within a university teaching hospital, offering an environment for residents to complete their training with the highest levels of personal and professional growth. We believe that the strengths of our Residency Program are not only the academic and clinical experiences, but also the collegial working environment fostered among our faculty and residents.
25 Reasons why should you come to Stony Brook?
1) Only accredited allopathic medical school on Eastern Long Island, serving a diverse patient population of several million people.
2) Level 3 NICU
3) We are a Regional Perinatal Center for NY State, and receive referrals of the most complicated cases from across the County.
4) We have an excellent, enthusiastic, approachable teaching faculty covering all subspecialties of Obstetrics & Gynecology.
5) University Medical Center has undergone a 300 million dollar renovation, including the following:
a) brand new state-of-the-art Women's and Infant's Center (new postpartum unit, triage, Labor and Delivery, Recovery Room, Obstetrical operating rooms, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Newborn Nursery)
b) New Ambulatory Surgery Center (separate from Main Hospital)
c) New Cancer Center and Breast Imaging Center (Adjacent to Ambulatory Center)
d) New Main Operating Room Suites
e) Formation of Stonybrook Children's Hospital
f) New Heart Center
g) Expanded Emergency Room
h) New Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program facility (adjacent to ER).
6) We attract diverse, pleasant, bright residents to our program, who get along with faculty, staff, and each other, and who treat each other like family, to make it an outstanding work environment.
7) We are geographically located about 60 miles from NYC in a suburban area...close enough to enjoy Manhattan on a weekend off, enjoy Long Island's beaches in the summer, or enjoy the Long Island Wine Country of the North Fork.
8) We have a strong relationship with our community Volunteer faculty, who bring surgical cases to our Hospital and provide additional teaching to our residents. Many are graduates of our Residency Program.
9) There are many opportunities for research.
10) Great opportunities for Electives, International Electives, and advancement to subspecialty Fellowship Training after graduation.
11) Night Float System and on-call hours limited to approximately 12 hour shifts.
12) Excellent ancillary staff to perform blood draws, patient transport, etc., minimizing unneccessary "scut work".
13) Fully accredited Residency Program by the ACGME. Our last site visit was in 2010 and next will be in 2013.
14) 5 Residents per year (total 20) with no missing residents.
15) Obstetrical and Gynecologic Simulation program, including new Surgical and Clinical Simulation Centers.
16) Full complement of medical and surgical specialties available as consultants. Level 1 Trauma Center.
17) Fellowship Programs in Maternal Fetal Medicine and Minimally Invasive Surgery, which enhance the residency experience.
18) Excellent pay and benefits.
19) Successful careers of our graduates, both in private practice and academic medicine.
20) Faculty mentors for each of our residents.
21) Well supported educational mission by the Department and by the Institution. Our Department's faculty is actively involved in APGO (the Association of Professors in Gynecology & Obstetrics), including 3 APGO Educational Scholars and an APGO Electrosurgery Scholar. Two faculty have also completed the Stonybrook University Medical Education Fellowship.
22) Level 1 Trauma Center
23) Electronic Medical Record and Computerized Order Entry System
24) Culture of Patient Safety and Quality Assurance.
25) Placement of our graduates into highly desired fellowhip positions.
Applications to our program are accepted exclusively through ERAS, the Electronic Residency Application Service of the Association of American Medical Colleges. Personal interviews are by invitation only.
The minimum requirements for application are listed on the Stonybrook University Medical Center's Graduate Medical Education page: http://www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/gme/requirements.
Copies of the resident contract/employment agreement and salary information can be found at the following link: http://www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/gme/application.
In addition, if you would like to view some of the policies of the Medical Center regarding duty hours, moonlighting, resident supervision, etc., these may be viewed here: http://www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/gme/policy