Stroke Program Resources
Stony Brook University Hospital Stroke Center features the highest standard facility for the acute care and management of stroke patients. Some of the many resources we provide are:
- A dedicated and highly-skilled Emergency Department staff and EMS, working in concert with the Stony Brook Stroke Team. These teams are able to provide immediate care to stroke patients, at a time when their condition is most vulnerable.
- Immediate care by a specialized stroke neurologist 24 hours / day, 7 days / week
- Advanced technology for delivering clot buster medication to treat stroke.
- 24 hours / day CAT scan and advanced MRI availability for visualizing patient's blood flow in the brain.
- A Stroke Acute Care Unit with neurology nursing staff especially trained for the acute management of stroke and vascular patients.
- A Stroke Team comprised of stroke neurologists, a stroke nurse practitioner, a stroke fellow, stroke nurse coordinators and researchers, physical, speech and occupational therapists, and the excellent neurology nursing staff.
- Access to latest research medications and treatments in protecting the brain from further injury after stroke.
- Highly-trained non-invasive vascular laboratory team.
- Rapid availability to the many other physician specialties as needed, such as neurosurgery, vascular surgery, and cardiology.