The Summer Pre-College Program
The Summer Pre-College Program, which operates on both the Ammerman Campus (Selden) and the Grant Campus (Brentwood) of Suffolk County Community College (SCCC), is designed to provide a supportive, exploratory college experience. High school students in the program attend and sample a college-level course during part of the summer semester at SCCC.
Also during this three-week program (July 1 through July 19; subject to change), staff members from the Cody Center meet with the students daily to provide supportive scaffolding, which includes sessions on: study skills, self-advocacy, planning and organization skills, goal setting, and communication and social issues.
One of the program's goals is to help students to identify the academic and social demands associated with attending college and to develop individualized strategies for success.
In addition to completing the Student Application and the Parent Questionnaire, each student will need to submit the following items:
- A copy of your IEP for the current 2012-2013 school year
- An official high school transcript
- A copy of your most recent psychological evaluation
- A letter of recommendation from a staff member (for example, teacher, guidance counselor) at your high school. The letter should be written by someone who knows the student well and can speak about his or her ability to take college-level courses.
- A signed Authorization to Release Information Form (permitting our staff to speak with staff members at the high school). This form should be obtained from the high school. Please have a copy sent to the Summer Pre-College Program.
Application materials should be sent to:
Dr. David Makowski, Director, Summer Pre-College Program
Stony Brook University / The Cody Center
Putnam Hall, Room 177
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8788
Both parent/guardian and student must complete applications and mail them in for consideration for the program. There is no charge to apply to this program.
This is a collaborative program with Stony Brook University/The Cody Center for Autism and Developmental Disabilities, Suffolk County Community College, and Eastern Suffolk BOCES.
These forms are designed to work with Microsoft Word 2010.
If you have an older version of Word (1997-2003), please download, print out, fill in, and return the two forms listed below:
If you are not able to access these forms, please email Dr. Makowski at David.Makowski@stonybrookmedicine.edu and we will promptly send forms you can print and fill out with earlier versions of Word.
|Instructions for Forms.docx||21.2 KB|
|Student Application 2013.docx||55.77 KB|
|Parent Questionnaire 2013.docx||41.4 KB|
|Student Application 2013 Word 97-2003.doc||87.5 KB|
|Parent Questionnaire 2013 Word 97-2003.doc||55 KB|