The Summer Pre-College Experience
The Summer Pre-College Experience, which operates on both the Ammerman Campus (Selden) and the Grant Campus (Brentwood) of Suffolk County Community College (SCCC), is designed to provide a supportive, exploratory college experience. High school students in the program attend and sample a college-level course during part of the summer semester at SCCC.
This is a collaborative program with Stony Brook University/The Cody Center for Autism and Developmental Disabilities, Suffolk County Community College, and Eastern Suffolk BOCES. Only students from the following Eastern Suffolk BOCES consortium districts may be considered:
- Bay Shore
- Bayport-Blue Point
- Center Moriches
- Central Islip
- East Hampton
- East Islip
- Eastport South Manor
- Fishers Island
- Hampton Bays
- Middle Country
- Miller Place
- Mt. Sinai
- Port Jefferson
- Rocky Point
- Sag Harbor
- Shelter Island
- Shoreham-Wading River
- South Country
- Three Village
- West Islip
- Westhampton Beach
- William Floyd
During this three-week program (June 30 through July 17; subject to change), staff members from the Cody Center meet with the students daily to provide supportive scaffolding, which includes sessions on: study skills, self-advocacy, planning and organization skills, goal setting, and communication and social issues.
One of the program's goals is to help students to identify the academic and social demands associated with attending college and to develop individualized strategies for success.
In addition to completing the Student Application and the Parent Questionnaire, each student will need to submit the following items:
- A copy of your IEP for the current 2013-2014 school year
- An official high school transcript
- A copy of your most recent psychological evaluation
- A letter of recommendation from a staff member (for example, teacher, guidance counselor) at your high school. The letter should be written by someone who knows the student well and can speak about his or her ability to take college-level courses.
- A signed Authorization to Release Information Form (permitting our staff to speak with staff members at the high school). This form should be obtained from the high school. Please have a copy sent to the Summer Pre-College Experience.
- A letter from a professional (e.g., psychiatrist, neurologist, pediatrician, psychologist) documenting your teenager’s diagnosis.
Application materials should be sent to:
Dr. David Makowski, Director, Summer Pre-College Experience
Stony Brook University / The Cody Center
Putnam Hall, Room 177
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8788
Both parent/guardian and student must complete applications below and mail them in for consideration for the program. There is no charge to apply to this program.
|Summer Pre-College Experience Parent Questionnaire 2014||43.25 KB|
|Summer Pre-College Experience Student Application 2014||58.58 KB|