Research Assistant Professor, Director of Pathology
earned his MD from the Medical School of Sun Yet-Sen University. He specialized
in Pathology and served as Director of Cancer Pathology at the Hospital of
Guangzhou Medical College, China. He
also received his PhD from the Technical University of Munich, Germany in 2004
and did his postdoctoral work at the Institute for Cancer Prevention, Valhalla,
NY and at Texas A&M University.
having extensive experience in both clinical and experimental pathology, serves
our Division as Director of Pathology.
In addition to the general pathology support that he provides, he also
pursues his own NIH-funded research, which focuses cancer prevention in the
context of colitis using novel agents.
- Ouyang N, Zhu C, Nie T, Go MF, Richards RJ, Rigas B. MC-12 an annexin A1-based peptide, is effective in the treatment of experimental colitis. PLoS One. 2012:7(7):e41585. Epub 2012 Jul 23. PMC3402399.
- Zhu C, Cheng KW, Ouyang N, Huang L, Sun Y, Constantinides P. Rigas B. Phospho-sulindac (OXT-328) selectively targets breast cancer stem cells in vitro and in human breast cancer xenografts. Stem Cells, 2012 Oct:30(10):2065-75. doi:10.1002/stem.1139.
- Xie G, Nie T, Mackenzie G, Sun Yu, Huang L, Ouyang N, Alston N, Zhu C, Murray O, Constantinides P, Kopelovich L, Rigas, B. The metabolism and pharamcokinetics of phospho-sulindac (OXT-328), and the effect of difluoromethlyornithine. Br J Pharmacol, 2011, Sept 28. doi: 10.111/j. 1476-5381.
- Mackenzie GG, Ouyang N, Xie G, Vrankova K, Huang L, Sun Y, Komninou D, Kopelovich L, Rigas B. Phospho-sulindac (OXT328) combined with difluoromethylornithine prevents colon cancer in mice. Cancer Pre Res (Phila), 2011 Apr 4 Epub ahead of print.
- Williams JL, Ji P, Ouyang N, Kopelovich L, Rigas B. The metabolism and pharmacokinetics of phospho-sulindac (OCT 328) and the effect of
difluoromethylornithine. Br J Pharmacol. 2011, Sept 28. doi 10.1111/j.
1476-5381.2011.01705.x. [Epub ahead of print].
- Mackenzie GG, Ouyang N, Xie G, Vrankova K, Huang L, Sun Y, Komninou D, Kopelovich L, Rigas B. Phospho-sulindac (OXT-328) combined with difluoromethylornithine prevents colon cancer in mice. CancerPrevRes (Phila), 2011 Apr 4.[Epub ahead of print]
- Mackenzie GG, Sun Y, Huang L, Xie G, Ouyang N, Gupta RC, Johnson F, Komninou D, Kopelovich L, Rigas B. Phospho-sulindac (OCT-328), a novel sulindac derivative, is safe and effective in colon cancer prevention in mice. Gastroenterology, 210 Oct: 139(4): 1320-32. Epub 2010 Jun 20. PMC2949489.
- Ouyang N, Ke S, Eagleton N, Xie Y, Chen G, Laffins B, Tian Y. Pregnane X Receptor Suppresses Proliferation and Tumorigenicity of Colon Cancer Cells. Br J Cancer 2010, Jun 8:102(12):1753-61. PMC2883694. (in process).
- Ouyang N, Storts R, Tian Y, Wigle W, Villanueva I, Mirhosseini N, Payne S, Gray P, Tizard I. Histopathology and the detection of avian bornavirus in the nervous system of birds diagnosed with proventricular dilatation disease. Avian Pathol. 2009 Oct;38(5):393-401.
- Xie Y, Ke S, Ouyang N, He J, Xie W, Bedford MT, Tian Y. Epigenetic regulation of transcriptional activity of pregnane X receptor by protein arginine methyltransferase 1. J Biol Chem. 2009 Apr 3;284(14):9199-205.
- Ouyang N, Williams JL, Rigas B. NO-donating aspirin inhibits angiogenesis by suppressing VEGF expression in HT-29 human colon cancer mouse xenografts. Carcinogenesis. 2008 Sep;29(9):1794-8.
- Williams JL, Ji P, Ouyang N, Liu X, Rigas B. NO-donating aspirin inhibits the activation of NF-kappaB in human cancer cell lines and Min mice. Carcinogenesis. 2008 Feb;29(2):390-7.
- Ouyang N, Williams JL, Tsioulias GJ, Gao J, Iatropoulos MJ, Kopelovich L, Kashfi K, Rigas B. Nitric oxide-donating aspirin prevents pancreatic cancer in a hamster tumor model. Cancer Res. 2006 Apr 15;66(8):4503-11
- Ouyang N, Williams JL, Rigas B. NO-donating aspirin isomers downregulate peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) delta expression in APC (min/+) mice proportionally to their tumor inhibitory effect: Implications for the role of PPARdelta in carcinogenesis Carcinogenesis. 2006 Feb; 27(2):232-9.
- Song E, Lee SK, Wang J, Ince N, Ouyang N, Min J, Chen J, Shankar P, Lieberman J. RNA interference targeting Fas protects mice from fulminant hepatitis. Nat Med. 2003 Mar;9(3):347-51.
- Hamar P, Song E, Kokeny G, Chen A, Ouyang N, Lieberman J. Small interfering RNA targeting Fas protects mice against renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 Oct 12;101(41):14883-8. 10. Michl M, Ouyang N, Fraek ML, Beck FX, Neuhofer W. Expression and regulation of alphaB-crystallin in the kidney in vivo and in vitro. Pflugers Arch. 2006 Jul; 452(4):387-95.
- Neuhofer W, Fraek ML, Ouyang N, Beck FX. Differential expression of heat shock protein 27 and 70 in renal papillary collecting duct and interstitial cells - implications for urea resistance. J Physiol. 2005 May 1; 564(Pt 3):715-22.
- Viklicky O, Bohmova R, Ouyang N, Honsova E, Lodererova A, Mandys V, Vitko S,Lutz J, Heemann UW. Effect of sirolimus on renal ischaemia/reperfusion injury in normotensive and hypertensive rats. Transpl Int. 2004 Sep; 17(8):432-41.
- Wang M, Liu S, Ouyang N, Song E, Lutz J, Heemann U. Protective effects of FTY720 on chronic allograft nephropathy by reducing late lymphocytic infiltration. Kidney Int. 2004 Sep;66(3):1248-56.
- Williams JL, Kashfi K, Ouyang N, del Soldato P, Kopelovich L, Rigas B. NO-donating aspirin inhibits intestinal carcinogenesis in Min (APC (Min/+)) mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004 Jan 16; 313 (3):784-8.
- Song E, Chen J, Ouyang N, Su F, Wang M, Heemann U. Soluble Fas ligand released by colon adenocarcinoma cells induces host lymphocyte apoptosis: an active mode of immune evasion in colon cancer. Br J Cancer. 2001 Sep 28; 85 (7):1047-54.